Karens Health Log

Log of my health issues

12/16/2004

Diabetic Doc Appt

I ended up switching doctors today. They'd scheduled me with a new doctor (to the practice) to get me in sooner, and my doc was supposed to "pop in." Well, he never did - but that's OK, because I like Dr H. better. She explains things well, and I thought she was more personable.

I do have reactive hypoglycemia. She wanted to put me on a medication that would block carb absorbtion, but it won't play well with my ulcerative colitis, so that's out. She thinks I'll be fine without a dietician for now too. She's happy that I drink soymilk (high in protein) and she approved of the snacks I eat. She wants me to eat 5-6 small meals a day instead of 3. That will be hard getting used to - but I'll manage. I also need to exercise as I can - which is the tricky part because of the RA pain. But she said even 5-10 minutes on my exercise bike, and/or a 5 minute walk several times a day would make a huge difference. I might be able to do that.

So, I'll implement the changes and see her again in March.

As I was leaving, I ran into my internist in the hall. He said, "Wow, you're look good!" LOL! Made me smile... I guess opposed to walking death, I am looking better. ;-)

2 Comments:

At 4:11 PM , Blogger Crayonsetc said...

Glad you liked the new doc. I think the eating 5-6 times a day is hard... then again, what I am going to be doing is going to be REALLY hard... but as you said... I can do it!!

Are you on insulin? Or is it just diet managed at this point?? {{{Hugs}}}

 
At 5:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might try Leslie Sanson'e Walk Away the Pound 1 mile tape or dvd, it's only about 20 mninutes. Or swimming?

Tina
tinariffic@earthlink.net

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home