Karens Health Log

Log of my health issues

3/09/2005

RA Appt

I had my Remacade treatment to day, and discussed some options with Dr B. Remacade is pretty much the only aggressive therapy for both RA and UC. So, I don't have many options, if any. We don't want to stop the Remacade, but both agreed that although I'm doing so much better than I was (night and day in comparison), we don't want me to slide back. He'll keep me on the prednisone, and Remacade but thinks I need a disease modifying medication (which helps control antibodies). Limited choices. Methotrexate is definitely out (suppressed bone marrow and cause severe anemia and hair loss). Arava is out (allergic), so he wants to try Imuran (Azathioprine - say that 10 times.). I'll take it 2/day starting out with a low dose and see how I respond. What the hell... one more pill. At least it is an inexpensive pill!

There won't be any immediate help, takes usually 6-8 weeks to see a difference. Downside, is the side effects. This med can cause the same problems as Metho with the liver and the bone marrow suppression (among many others!). But, I'll be having blood tests every 4 weeks to monitor them. If they get into dangerous levels, I'll stop taking it.

I'm not totally comfy, but I was on the methotrexate for 3 years before I started having problems with it, and my liver function was never bad. I don't have much of a choice, other than increasing pain and going backwards and that isn't an option in my mind. I went through utter and complete hell and don't want to go through it again. The daily/constant shit is bad enough. I won't let this beat me.

1 Comments:

At 5:09 PM , Blogger Tina said...

Hi.
I'm thinking positive thoughts that your new med will work without the nasty side effects. Have a great night.

Tina

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home